Sunday, May 30, 2010

Working Hard

I recently have started working a new job. It is not the typical job that I have had in the past. I have been spoiled over the years by being in a professional white collar atmosphere. However, since I am back in school a part time job is must. I have been working as a waiter. It has been humbling yet rewarding. I have only been there a few days and God has already been at work. I have worked very hard. I have always been a hard worker but for some reason I am working harder at a part-time job than I ever did in a full time job. Why? God has done something in my heart. He has radically altered my entire life. I cannot help but work hard. My co-workers notice my work ethic is not normal. Our jobs are an opportunity for Christ to work through us. Our jobs are a great tool for God to shine through us. When others cut corners, we choose not to. The easy way is the hard way and the hard way is the easy way. If we look at our jobs as a mission field, it will radically alter our work ethic. People will notice that we go above and beyond. People will notice when we help them with things that are not our responsibility. They will notice the little things. It is the little things that God turns in to big things. I am truly honored to be working as a waiter. God is teaching me how serving others for a living is a rewarding experience.
Proverbs 14:22-24
22 Do not those who plot evil go astray?
But those who plan what is good find love and faithfulness.
23 All hard work brings a profit,
but mere talk leads only to poverty.
24 The wealth of the wise is their crown,
but the folly of fools yields folly.
Hard work pays off. Our efforts are not just rewarded with money. We have an opportunity to share Christ with people every day at our jobs. We do not even have to say a word. Our work speaks for itself. Then others will ask, "why do you do things above and beyond your normal duties?" We can respond by saying, "because I am a blessed son or daughter of the most high God. I have every spiritual blessing I need in Christ, who is in me right now. I work hard so I can bless my Father's name. You see, I was rescued out of darkness and brought into the light. I am righteous in the sight of God because Jesus died and rose again. He took my sins on the cross. My entire life is forgiven. I am a new creation. I have a new identity. Now, I can serve my Perfect Father with all that I am. Why? Because of what He has done for me. I want to send blessings to Him instead of asking Him send me blessings. Why? Because I have every spiritual blessing I need right now."
Therefore, let us work hard for the glory of God. When others complain about their jobs, let us not. When others cut corners, let us go above and beyond. When others ask us to help, do more than they ask. When others talk negative, be positive. When others are rude to us, let us be kind to them. When others speak evil of us, let us say kind words about our enemies. When others steal from us, let us give to them generously. We are the hands and feet of our Lord and Savior. It is time that we remember who we are. It is time for us to be who we have been called to be. Let us go and work for the Glory of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment